Wanted: A reliable way to straighten natural hair without frizz or curls reverting.
What I did:
1. Pre-poo with avocado oil and olive oil
2. Shampoo with Shea Moisture’s Manuka Honey Intensive Hydration shampoo
3. Deep condition with a mask from the same line
4. Apply Shea Mositure’s Jamaican Black Castor Oil leave in and Aphogee’s Green Tea Reconstructor in sections, liberally.
5. Detangle hair and brush each section into pigtails, to stretch overnight. I slept on about 5-6 to be exact.
The next morning:
1. Remove pigtails and lightly blow dry each section to remove the wave from the twists. My roots were already straight so each section only needed about 30 seconds of blow-dry time.
2. Apply CHI’s heat infusion serum and flat iron in small sections. I committed to only two passes with the flat iron. The first “pass” to get the section straight, the second “pass” to curl the section under.
The entire process took about 2 hours. (I also trimmed my ends in between the first and second pass when flat ironing.) Once complete, I pin curled my hair, tightly wrapped it with a satin scarf to seal in the moisture, and “set it” for about a hour.
I loved the turn out. It wasn’t bone straight, which I loved, yet had body and volume that I appreciated. The sad part? It had grown to two times its size by the end of the night. I don’t understand why- There was no sweat, no humidity… it was actually a little chilly outside. But my hair still swelled and frizzed a bit on the ends.
So my question to you friends is how in the world can I preserve a straight style on natural hair without the frizz? Fill me in on the deets. Your process. Your products. What is your secret?